For security reasons, your session has been timed out. To continue, Please login.
Aadhaar Virtual ID
The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has mandated the use of Virtual Identification from July 1.
What is Virtual Aadhaar ID?
The VID is a temporary, revocable 16-digit random number mapped with the Aadhaar number which is 12-digit. The UIDAI, in a statement, says that one’s Aadhaar number cannot be derived from the VID that is generated. The virtual ID can be used for the purpose of authentication in the same way the Aadhaar number is used. Currently, VID can be generated on UIDAI’s resident portal. According to the UIDAI statement, various entities will have to migrate to the new system where they can accept the VID for the authentication.
How does it work?
According to the circular, the Virtual ID will be mapped with the Aadhaar number, but is otherwise a random-generated number just like the Unique ID. This means that someone who only has access to your Virtual ID should not be able to use that to derive your Aadhaar number.
When you give your Virtual ID to an authentication agency, say a telecom company or a local government body, they will enter it into the system and then receive a UID token that authenticates it, and provides a limited set of demographic details, such as your name, phone number, address and so on. Simply put, these agencies will now be able to authenticate you without ever actually seeing your Aadhaar number.
Features of the Aadhar Virtual ID
UIDAI has made various upgrades in its system through the VID. Some of the salient features of the virtual ID are:
Uses of Virtual Aadhaar ID:
Although the Supreme Court has ‘indefinitely’ extended the deadline to mandatorily link Aadhaar with bank accounts, various other financial services, and mobile phones till judgement on the petitions pending before it is pronounced, you still need it for following services:-
So, if you are opening a new bank account or buying an insurance policy, instead of quoting your Aadhaar number, you can provide your 16-digit VID.
Here are five things to know about Aadhaar virtual ID or VID:
1. Virtual ID is a 16-digit random number, which together with biometrics of the user gives limited details such as name, address and photograph – enough for any verification.
2. A virtual ID or VID can be used in place of Aadhaar card number for various purposes, including mobile SIM verification.
3. Currently, Aadhaar card holders can use the virtual ID to request an update in their address fed into the Aadhaar database, according to the UIDAI.
4. “Soon, service providers will start accepting VID in place of Aadhaar number,” the UIDAI said.
5. The UIDAI had in January this year introduced the concept of Virtual ID (VID) to safeguard Aadhaar cardholders’ data amid privacy concerns around the programme.
For information about process of creating Aadhaar Virtual Id please refer Virtual Id creation.