For security reasons, your session has been timed out. To continue, Please login.
Home Equity Loan is the loan that is available to you against the equity on a property. A type of consumer debt, home equity loan is also known as an equity loan, a second mortgage or a home-equity installment loan. It can be availed for any purpose and is available against both residential and non-residential property. The loan amount is calculated on the basis of the current market value of the property.
It is a loan secured by the equity in your home. It means that a bank could let you borrow up to 75% or 80% of the equity in your home (the difference between the home’s market value and the outstanding loan balance on your home).
In order to avail a home equity loan, you need to make sure that you have an excellent credit history, reasonable loan-to-value and combined loan-to-value ratios.
There are two types of home equity loans.
Fixed rate loans provide a single lump-sum payment to the individual. The amount can be repaid over a set period at the agreed upon interest rate. The interest rate does not fluctuate depending on market conditions and remains the same over the lifetime of the loan.
Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC) is a variable-rate loan which works similar to how a credit card works. Known as HELOC, this type of home equity loan allows you to borrow a part of the pre-approved amount offered by the bank. The loan may be offered as a bundled package with a credit card allowing you to make withdrawals on the loan or through cheques.
Monthly payments will depend on the amount borrowed and the interest rate. Like a credit card, you can re-borrow the amount repaid. HELOC has a set term like fixed-rate loans. This means that at the end of the loan tenure, the complete outstanding amount has to be settled.
A home equity loan works similar to a home loan. In both cases, the home serves as collateral. However, for a home loan, the eligible loan amount is up to 90% of the market value of the house. In home equity loan, you convert the equity on your home into cash. Repayment will include principal and interest payments.
Businessman/ Self-employed professional:
1) Home equity loan is the loan available against equity in a property, which is calculated on the basis of its current market value.
2) An increase in the market value of the home or a decrease in the outstanding home loan results in a rise in the home equity against which a loan can be taken.
3) The loan is available against residential and non-residential property. It should be fully constructed and should be a freehold property, having a clear and marketable title.
4) A home equity loan can be taken for any purpose, including education of children, marriage expenses, medical expenses, even for refinancing a home loan.
5) The documents establishing the financial and repayment capacity of the borrower have to be provided, along with a photocopy of the documents of the property and a valuation report.
6) A home equity loan does not offer any tax benefits on repayment as is available to the borrower in the case of a home loan.
FundsTiger is an Online Lending Marketplace where you can search for and avail Fast and Easy loans from almost all the leading Banks and NBFCs. You can Apply for Loans with Best possible Rates of Interest and terms for Personal Loan, Business Loan , Home Loan and Car Refinance Loan.