Income tax refund status: Here’s how you
Taxpayers become eligible for refunds if higher taxes — either through advance tax, self-assessment tax or tax deducted at source (TDS) — are paid in comparison with the total tax liability. The refund can be claimed by filing the income tax returns (ITR) form within the specified timeline.
Last month, the Income Tax (I-T) department said that it has issued refunds worth worth Rs 71,229 crore to over 21 lakh taxpayers between April 8 to July 11. This included personal income tax (PIT) refunds worth Rs 24,603 crore issued to 19.79 lakh individuals and corporate tax refunds amounting to Rs 46,626 crore to over 1.45 lakh taxpayers.
The government has laid great emphasis on providing tax related services to the taxpayers without any hassles and is aware that during these difficult times of Covid-19 pandemic, many taxpayers are waiting to see that their tax demands and refunds reach finality as quickly as possible.
Here’s how to check your refund status:
1) Check return status via I-T department’s e-filing portal
- Registered users can log in to the e-filing portal of the I-T department with your PAN (permanent account number) as user ID and password.
- Go to ‘View e-Filed Returns/Forms’ section
- Select income tax returns and enter the relevant assessment year
- You will be redirected to a new page where the status of your return such as ITR filed, verified, ITR processing, issued and status of refund will be displayed.
- Under ‘Status’ menu, you can check mode of payment, amount of refund, date of clearance and the likes.
2) Using National Securities Depository Ltd’s (NSDL’s) website
- Go to the NSDL website
- Enter your PAN details and select the relevant assessment year
- Enter the captcha code and select ‘Proceed’ to view the relevant details.
FundsTiger can arrange loans from almost all the banks. You can apply for an attractive offer with best possible rate of interest and terms for Personal Loan, Business Loan , Home Loan and Car Refinance Loan.