Fraud that is committed using the internet is “Internet Scam.” Internet Scam can involve financial fraud and identity theft. Internet Scam comes in many forms. It ranges from viruses that attack computers with the goal of retrieving personal information, to email schemes that lure victims into wiring money to fraudulent sources, to “phishing” emails that purport to be from official entities that solicit personal information from victims to be used to commit identity theft, to fraud on online auction sites where perpetrators sell fictional goods.
Types of Internet Scams
- Phishing and Spoofing
The most common types of Internet Scams are called phishing and spoofing. Phishing is the process of collecting your personal information through e-mails or websites claiming to be legitimate.
- Spyware and Viruses
Spyware and viruses are both malicious programs that are loaded onto your computer without your knowledge.
- Fraudulent “Pop-up Windows”
Fraudulent “Pop-up Windows” are a type of Internet Scams often used to obtain personal information. They are the windows or ads that appear suddenly over or under the window you are currently viewing. Fraudulent websites or pop-up windows are used to collect your personal information.
Skimming happens at the point of transaction. It usually happens when an employee at a gas station, restaurant, or other business uses a hand held credit card scanner to steal your information and store it for later use.
How to avoid Internet Scam?
The following are way you can avoid Internet Scams :
- Protect Your Passwords – Use a different password for each online account. The most secure passwords contain at least 8 characters and a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols.
- Never Give Information to Unsolicited Callers – Although there are some legitimate businesses that sell over the phone, many don’t.
- Keep your smartphone protected – Use an antivirus app. Also use a password lock and a data deleting app that you can access from a computer if your phone is stolen. Only download apps from a trusted app store.
- Don’t click the links- If an email is suspicious, don’t click any links. If you do click a link, run a full scan with your antivirus software ASAP.
- Check your bank accounts frequently – The more often you check your accounts, the more likely you are to spot suspicious activity quickly.
- Buy only from online retailers you trust – There are tons of scam sites out there offering incredibly low prices on desirable items. If the price sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Avoid downloading programs from unknown sources – Downloads may contain hidden programs that can compromise your computer’s security. Likewise, email attachments from unknown senders may contain harmful viruses.
FundsTiger is an Online Lending Marketplace where you can search for and avail Fast and Easy loans from almost all the leading Banks and NBFCs. You can Apply for Loans with Best possible Rates of Interest and terms for Personal Loan, Business Loan , Home Loan and Car Refinance Loan.